Aging is an inevitable part of life. But following the Canadian 24-Hour Movement Guidelines can help you stay strong, mentally fit and independent.
Make your whole day matter
For health benefits, adults aged 65 years or older should be physically active each day, minimize sedentary time, and achieve sufficient sleep.
Add movement throughout your day, including a variety of types and intensities of physical activity:
- At least 150 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity per week
- Muscle strengthening activities at least twice a week
- Several hours of light physical activity, including standing
Reduce Sedentary Time
Limit sedentary time to 8 hours or less:
- No more than 3 hours of recreational screen time per day
- Break up long periods of sitting as often as possible
Set yourself up for 7 to 8 hours of good-quality sleep on a regular basis, with consistent bed and wake-up times
Following the 24-Hour Movement Guidelines can help you:
- Stay strong and mentally fit
- Maintain independence
- Maintain mobility and bone health
- Improve balance
- Reduce the risk of chronic disease
Original source: Adults Aged 65+ from PartcipACTION, 2023.